Mental Health Awareness
For the next three years I worked as an intern for a church dealing with middle and high schoolers, and after that moment with my roommate, I was able to recognize and be aware of so many different times in which someone was dealing with a mental illness.
How can we be more aware? Well, there isn’t an easy way to differentiate signs of mental illness compared to normal behavior or physical illness, however, some common signs can be included in the following list below.
- Excessive worrying or fear
- Feeling excessively sad or low
- Confused thinking or problems concentrating and learning
- Extreme mood changes, including uncontrollable “highs” or feelings of euphoria
- Prolonged or strong feelings of irritability or anger
- Avoiding friends and social activities
- Difficulties understanding or relating to other people
- Changes in sleeping habits or feeling tired and low energy
- Changes in eating habits such as increased hunger or lack of appetite
- Changes in sex drive
- Difficulty perceiving reality (delusions or hallucinations, in which a person experiences and senses things that don’t exist in objective reality)
- Inability to perceive changes in one’s own feelings, behavior or personality (”lack of insight” or anosognosia)
- Abuse of substances like alcohol or drugs
- Multiple physical ailments without obvious causes (such as headaches, stomach aches, vague and ongoing “aches and pains”)
- Thinking about suicide
- Inability to carry out daily activities or handle daily problems and stress
- An intense fear of weight gain or concern with appearance
Duncan-Williams, Inc. Presents:
It's Happening in Memphis
Benefiting the Germantown Performing Arts Center
- November 4, 2018 Soweto Gospel Choir
- November 10, 2018 Ellis Marsalis Quintet
- January 11, 2019 Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver with Flatt Lonesome
- January 12, 2019 Fred Hersch Pocket Orchestra
- January 26, 2019 Dorrance Dance
- February 2, 2019 Jazzmeia Horn
- March 30, 2019 Monterey Jazz Festival on Tour
- March 1, 2019 Shawn Colvin
- May 4, 2019 Ballet Memphis: Midsummer Night's Dream
The Lowery’s host the 28th New Year’s Day Prayer Breakfast where elected officials came and spoke on continuing the push for equality in our city and some breaking news was shared from the podium.
In 2019, the Coliseum Coalition plans to continue tours for investors and civic leaders, and is planning another Roundhouse Revival. Roundhouse Revival 1, 2 and 3, previtalizing events which featured the Coliseum’s classic brands of music, wrestling and basketball, were held outside the building.
Kier “Junior” Spates. He’s also a survivor, warrior, humble and one aspiring to greatness! Dec. 21, 2018 from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm at the Hattiloo Theatre.
Lessons from chef garyRemembering gary williamsBy JR RobinsonThis article is brought to you by Krewe of DeJavu Check out their menu! Bradley Whitford "Infuse your life with action. Don't wait for it to happen. Make it happen. Make your own future. Make your own hope....
Time to #BeAmazing
Share Your Story Today!
We believe there is an amazing story just waiting to be told inside everyone. Stories that inspire change, ideas, and action. Some stories are painful, some are fun, and others are life changing. BeAmazing and share your story today on JustMy!