what's your story?
“Building on a Solid Foundation” and it extends beyond constructing a building. We are building relationships for the future. We have built our reputation by putting our clients’ needs first and our dedicated and highly-experienced associates are committed to delivering exceptional service and quality products that exceed our client’s expectations.
Building on a solid foundation
Get to the Garden Walk
with The Cooper-Young Garden Club
March 21, 2019
“Edibles, Flowers, Herbs and Natives”
Largest Garden Walk in the MidSouth
Promoting this nouveau wave of gardening is The Cooper-Young Garden Club who will be hosting their 4th Annual Cooper-Young Garden Walk, the largest garden walk in the Midsouth, May 18 and 19 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The mission of the Garden Walk is to celebrate urban gardening and inspire Midsouth residents and visitors to elevate their corner of the world with beauty and provide a sanctuary for people, plants, and pollinators. The theme of this year’s walk is “Edibles, Herbs, Native Plants and Flowers.”
Visitors can expect a unique garden walk not only because of Cooper-Young’s quirky, eclectic gardens but because of its unique location in the heart of Midtown Memphis, home to historic architecture, robust community pride, trendy shops, thriving restaurants, diversity, art, and culture just to name a few.
The 60+ diverse gardens include imaginative urban home gardens and business green spaces, an elementary school garden, and a local community garden which will delight all the senses during the Garden Walk’s two-day span.
Enjoy engaging mini-talks in various locations on topics including: fermentation, cooking with edible flowers, growing mushrooms or micro greens, porch and garden trends for 2019, composting, and more. Additionally, have the pleasure of viewing beehives, free range chickens, and composting in action.
Increase your nursery know-how at booths operated by Master Gardeners, the Herb Society, and many other garden educators and enthusiasts. After taking in the gardens, shop for garden-themed art and nourish yourself at Cooper-Young’s award winning restaurants and breweries.
Walk, bike, Bird, or shuttle to the gardens along tree-lined streets, now a nationally registered arboretum. It’s easy to experience what is fast becoming the best and largest urban garden walk in the South.
The vision for the Garden Walk has always been to engage community creativity, enhance community pride and beautify Memphis, one neighborhood at a time. The innovative garden art and garden structures will serve as a well-heeded reminder that imagination is the only limitation.
The self-guided tour begins with check-in at the Gazebo, located at the Cooper and Young intersection, where visitors will receive a program booklet, the locations of the gardens, and a wristband to gain entrance into the gardens. Gardens may be visited in any order.
Visitors are encouraged to buy tickets early to be entered into a drawing for a “Staycation Memphis Package” valued at over $500. Tickets are available online at https://cygardenwalk.eventsmart.com/events/cy-garden-walk-2019/.
- Self-guided tour of 50+ gardens
- See farming, formal chic, and quirky cottage style
- Edibles, native plants, chickens, beekeeping, herbs, garden art
- 4 themed routes: Elegant, Edibles, Eclectic, Secret Gardens
- Artist gardens and studios
- Garden Demos + lots of educational opportunities
- Peabody Elementary School Garden + student works
- Cooper-Young Community Farmers’ Market, Saturday 8 am to 1 pm
- Neighborhood Level 3 arboretum
- Classic Cars for the guys
- Growing micro-greens
- Creating beautiful containers
- Growing mushrooms
- Plant tower growing
- Creating beautiful outdoor spaces
- Growing herbs
- Ask-A-Master Gardener
- Storm Water Memphis
- New Way Aquaponic Farms
- Plant Tower
- Bee Inspired Staging, LLC
- Tad Pierson Tire Art
- Lil Bit of Country
- Memphis Herb Society
- 28 award-winning restaurants, some offering discounts or specials
- Brewery, pubs
- Quaint, trendy shops
- Walk our tree-lined streets
- Guided bike tour
- Rent Bird scooters and electric bikes
- Check out the Garden Walk map on Google Maps May 1 and the garden brochure
- Until May 5: Early bird tickets $15 (+ a chance to win cool prizes–2 Graceland Tickets, 1-night Abnb, 2-1 hour Midtown Massages, Beauty Shop Restaurant Certificate, Stone Soup Cafe Certificate)
- After May 5 + including day of $20
- All tickets are “will call” and can be picked up the day of the event at the gazebo at the intersection of Cooper and Young.
- On-line ticket sales: cygardenwalk.eventsmart.com
- Mail Check Payable to: Cooper-Young Garden Club, C/O Katie McHaney, treasurer, 805 S. Cox, Memphis, TN 38104 (memo line: CYGW TICKETS)
- Buy Ticket from these locations: (pay with check only) Stone Soup Cafe, 993 S. Cooper Street
- Palladio Gardens, 741 S. Cox
- CYBA Office, 2120 Young Avenue
Take a guided bike tour of 24 SECRET GARDENS – led by Urban Bike Food Ministries members.
- Bikes watched while you tour the gardens.
- Tour gardens 10:30- 2 pm. After the bike tour, feel free to tour the rest of the garden independently.
- Meet at 1000 Cooper in front of the Revolutions Bike Arch at 10:15 am Sat., May 18, 2019.
- Helmets required. Family Friendly.
- Tickets $20 of which $5 from each ticket is donated to Urban Bike Food Ministries.
- Children 13 and younger are free!
Memphis has its fair share of historic neighborhoods. And our city’s many entertainment districts are legendary. But no place in the Mid-South, and quite possibly no place anywhere, owns a personality like you’ll encounter in Cooper-Young.
Eclectic only begins to describe it. Century-old homes tucked among family-owned businesses and contemporary gathering spots. Young and talented creative types mingle among families and life-long residents.
Join the #FunCrew
JustMyMemphis is live today! We have started the countdown to new updated LOCAL Hubs for JustMyNashville, JustMyAtlanta, JustMyHouston, JustMyDallas, and JustMyKansas City! We are looking for LOCALs in these markets to join our #FunCrew. If you love your city and you love local events. This might be the perfect gig for you. You should have good verbal and writing skills, be a master of social networking, basic photography skills are needed, and you should have a giving back spirit. JustMy loves helping local causes, as a member of the #FunCrew, you would be helping to share their stories and bring excitement to their events!