Mental Health Awareness
For the next three years I worked as an intern for a church dealing with middle and high schoolers, and after that moment with my roommate, I was able to recognize and be aware of so many different times in which someone was dealing with a mental illness.
How can we be more aware? Well, there isn’t an easy way to differentiate signs of mental illness compared to normal behavior or physical illness, however, some common signs can be included in the following list below.
- Excessive worrying or fear
- Feeling excessively sad or low
- Confused thinking or problems concentrating and learning
- Extreme mood changes, including uncontrollable “highs” or feelings of euphoria
- Prolonged or strong feelings of irritability or anger
- Avoiding friends and social activities
- Difficulties understanding or relating to other people
- Changes in sleeping habits or feeling tired and low energy
- Changes in eating habits such as increased hunger or lack of appetite
- Changes in sex drive
- Difficulty perceiving reality (delusions or hallucinations, in which a person experiences and senses things that don’t exist in objective reality)
- Inability to perceive changes in one’s own feelings, behavior or personality (”lack of insight” or anosognosia)
- Abuse of substances like alcohol or drugs
- Multiple physical ailments without obvious causes (such as headaches, stomach aches, vague and ongoing “aches and pains”)
- Thinking about suicide
- Inability to carry out daily activities or handle daily problems and stress
- An intense fear of weight gain or concern with appearance
Duncan Williams Presents:
It's Happening in Memphis
Benefiting the memphis botanic gardens
Live at the gardens lineup
- May 26th - SUMMER SYMPHONY AT THE LIVE GARDEN
- June 1st - RASCAL FLATTS
- June 20th - MIDLAND with Trent Harmon
- June 29th - TRAIN
- July 12th - BOY GEORGE & CULTURE CLUB with the B52'S
- July 28th - GLADYS KNIGHT
- Sept 7th - BIG & RICH
community powered what's your story? Sponsor Spotlight The Blues Foundation Our Mission is to preserve blues heritage, celebrate blues recording and performance, expand worldwide awareness of the blues, and ensure the future of the uniquely American art form. Through...
community powered what's your story? Event spotlight Meat Me in Memphis Gala Meat Me in Memphis is our sole fundraising event for the Monogram Loves Kids Foundation. Our annual Meat Me in Memphis is held at one of Memphis’ iconic gala venues, The Columns at One...
County Edge Task Force: getting real By Joe Kent This article is being brought to you by HomeTown Home Services, Is it time for a Home Improvement? The County EDGE Task Force continued their local reform work with a productive open discussion of challenging and...
twisted time creations art that speaks memphis This article is brought to you by Krewe of DeJavu Check out their menu!Introducing myself, we can start with my name being Conner. It is my mom’s maiden name. I’m 42, and I was born and raised in Memphis. For the last 18...
Time to #BeAmazing
Share Your Story Today!
We believe there is an amazing story just waiting to be told inside everyone. Stories that inspire change, ideas, and action. Some stories are painful, some are fun, and others are life changing. BeAmazing and share your story today on JustMy!