Mental Health Awareness
For the next three years I worked as an intern for a church dealing with middle and high schoolers, and after that moment with my roommate, I was able to recognize and be aware of so many different times in which someone was dealing with a mental illness.
How can we be more aware? Well, there isn’t an easy way to differentiate signs of mental illness compared to normal behavior or physical illness, however, some common signs can be included in the following list below.
- Excessive worrying or fear
- Feeling excessively sad or low
- Confused thinking or problems concentrating and learning
- Extreme mood changes, including uncontrollable “highs” or feelings of euphoria
- Prolonged or strong feelings of irritability or anger
- Avoiding friends and social activities
- Difficulties understanding or relating to other people
- Changes in sleeping habits or feeling tired and low energy
- Changes in eating habits such as increased hunger or lack of appetite
- Changes in sex drive
- Difficulty perceiving reality (delusions or hallucinations, in which a person experiences and senses things that don’t exist in objective reality)
- Inability to perceive changes in one’s own feelings, behavior or personality (”lack of insight” or anosognosia)
- Abuse of substances like alcohol or drugs
- Multiple physical ailments without obvious causes (such as headaches, stomach aches, vague and ongoing “aches and pains”)
- Thinking about suicide
- Inability to carry out daily activities or handle daily problems and stress
- An intense fear of weight gain or concern with appearance
Duncan Williams Presents:
It's Happening in Memphis
Benefiting the memphis botanic gardens
Live at the gardens lineup
- May 26th - SUMMER SYMPHONY AT THE LIVE GARDEN
- June 1st - RASCAL FLATTS
- June 20th - MIDLAND with Trent Harmon
- June 29th - TRAIN
- July 12th - BOY GEORGE & CULTURE CLUB with the B52'S
- July 28th - GLADYS KNIGHT
- Sept 7th - BIG & RICH
Cooper young taps local gallery owner for poster art By Tamara Cook This article is sponsored by The Wendy Thompson Lending Team Click to find low mortgage rates! The Evolve Bank and Trust Cooper Young Festival is pleased to announce that internationally known, local...
Mental Health - 365 When life happens... Insight From CN Nash This article is being brought to you by The Memphis Urban League, Follow Us in the Countdown to 75! When Life Happens... To be completely frank, when I first sat down to write my novel, Mirroring Effect, I...
JAMES THE MORMON WE CAME TO PLAY by Alden Zuck MSM Mission Works brings life insurance to multi-cultural middle-class America. Click to learn more!James the Mormon's first full-length album debuts in iTunes' top-10. JustMy first learned of James through his support...
3rd annual cooper young garden walk "Cooper Young Goes Native" Showcasing Native Plants in an urban setting This article is being brought to you by HomeTown Home Services, Is it time for a Home Improvement?The Cooper-Young Garden Walk treats you to a tour of the most...
Time to #BeAmazing
Share Your Story Today!
We believe there is an amazing story just waiting to be told inside everyone. Stories that inspire change, ideas, and action. Some stories are painful, some are fun, and others are life changing. BeAmazing and share your story today on JustMy!