Mental Health Awareness
For the next three years I worked as an intern for a church dealing with middle and high schoolers, and after that moment with my roommate, I was able to recognize and be aware of so many different times in which someone was dealing with a mental illness.
How can we be more aware? Well, there isn’t an easy way to differentiate signs of mental illness compared to normal behavior or physical illness, however, some common signs can be included in the following list below.
- Excessive worrying or fear
- Feeling excessively sad or low
- Confused thinking or problems concentrating and learning
- Extreme mood changes, including uncontrollable “highs” or feelings of euphoria
- Prolonged or strong feelings of irritability or anger
- Avoiding friends and social activities
- Difficulties understanding or relating to other people
- Changes in sleeping habits or feeling tired and low energy
- Changes in eating habits such as increased hunger or lack of appetite
- Changes in sex drive
- Difficulty perceiving reality (delusions or hallucinations, in which a person experiences and senses things that don’t exist in objective reality)
- Inability to perceive changes in one’s own feelings, behavior or personality (”lack of insight” or anosognosia)
- Abuse of substances like alcohol or drugs
- Multiple physical ailments without obvious causes (such as headaches, stomach aches, vague and ongoing “aches and pains”)
- Thinking about suicide
- Inability to carry out daily activities or handle daily problems and stress
- An intense fear of weight gain or concern with appearance
Duncan Williams Presents:
It's Happening in Memphis
Benefiting the memphis botanic gardens
Live at the gardens lineup
- May 26th - SUMMER SYMPHONY AT THE LIVE GARDEN
- June 1st - RASCAL FLATTS
- June 20th - MIDLAND with Trent Harmon
- June 29th - TRAIN
- July 12th - BOY GEORGE & CULTURE CLUB with the B52'S
- July 28th - GLADYS KNIGHT
- Sept 7th - BIG & RICH
music lineup evolve bank & trust cooper young festival This article is being brought to you by HomeTown Home Services, Is it time for a Home Improvement? Join us Saturday, September 15 for a day of music at the biggest party of the summer. September 15 is the...
11th annual forrest spence 5k 8.25.18 - 8am -Memphis botanic garden Forrest Spence Fund This article is being brought to you by cityCURRENT, Get Involved & Power the GOOD! See first hand the impact you make when you run! Abby Cooley - Abby had a NICU baby and the...
Inside the Blues hall of fame a city treasure By Jerome Robinson Duncan-Williams, Inc. spotlights: Neighborhood Christian Centers Sherry May and I were working on a story for the Live at the Garden Concert Series when Sherry asked me if I had any interest in the...
Annual Empowerment Luncheon Announcement By Memphis Urban League This article is being brought to you by The Memphis Urban League, Follow Us in the Countdown to 75! The Memphis Urban League (MUL) will host its Annual Empowerment Luncheon on Thursday, August 23,...
Time to #BeAmazing
Share Your Story Today!
We believe there is an amazing story just waiting to be told inside everyone. Stories that inspire change, ideas, and action. Some stories are painful, some are fun, and others are life changing. BeAmazing and share your story today on JustMy!